Wednesday, July 6, 2011

points north


Headed to points north over the holiday weekend, what with Every. Single. National Forest in NM closed to recreation as our fine state remains in the midst of NM's driest period, in recorded history.  Say it with me, Yuck.  So I was anxious to see how La Nina, la hermana mala round these parts, has been treating our good neighbors in Colorado. I hear she has a different reputation up there. ;-)

So I set my sights on the Rio Grande side of the fabled Weminuche, and those high country streams that head up out of the Divide.  And that's all I have to say 'bout that, as I'm sure you will understand.

My goals were simple, if many.
winged ant
doppelganger
Stage a far-ranging hike in, along a Rio Grande feeder's feeder.


Sample as much of the varied water offered, as was humanly possible along the way.

















Basecamp near the high country source of the feeder's feeder.
springfed source- one of countless hundreds

double spring- cutthroat in each plunge pool
the valley of life- elk calves,snowbank springs, cutthroat headwaters
  Meet some new friends.
this little guy and his sibling got 'left' behind as the herd spooked on up the canyon
you lookin at me?

near one hundred head that first night

crept within 30 yards before the sentries spotted me


















Make a snowball and see some fireworks on the Fourth of July.
 






























Ascend the Divide.

check out that snow cornice!

 
 
that ridge was a bit hairy- 1000 foot plunge either side
 

 Oh, and connect with some Rio Grande cutthroat trout in the process.




 
hard day at the office
trail's end
It is indeed a gorgeous world we live in, so get on out there!

9 comments:

  1. Did you score a new camera? ...or just an underwater case? That 3rd to last picture is flippin' awesome! Great scenery too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, beautiful photographs, what a tease. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUDE...I am speechless. Looks like a great trek into the wilderness. Nicely done...

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! Beautiful. Gotta get up there myself as soon as my stress fracture finishes healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David- naw, that's my same beat up ole Optio, it's waterproof to like 6'. Have indeed been wanting a new one to render better res video, we'll see if I can get that done.

    Eugene- thanks man, that means a lot. CO has a ton of wild country waiting to be explored, look forward to your next adventure.

    Thx Ben, been enjoying your wanderings OR way.

    Ilanarama- that is a fine state you have up there! Sounds like you're making steady progress on recovery, here's hoping you'll be back at it in no time~

    thx for checking in everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like we were both on the same side of the Divide. Looks awesome and you know what they say about great minds.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey Chris- yep, great country up there. Not too shabby as a Plan B, huh? mike

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mark! Long time my friend! You guessed it, I could tell you, but then I'd have to take you out. Literally. ;-) mike

    ReplyDelete