Thursday, April 21, 2011

biking for science

While it would appear things here @ Dry Flies & Fat Tires have been on a decided Dry Fly bent of late, the below is humbly submitted as au contraire monfraire.

contemplating Science
My best girl is hip deep into this year's science fair exhibit.  This year's puzzle: the affects of gearing, both perceived and measured, while mountain biking.  She selected our local fav, Blowchunks Hill, as the best venue to demonstrate said affects.



And no, I had nothing to do with it.  The fact the boy's entry is about the efficacy of various dry fly dessicants vs gel floatants is pure coincidence, I swear! ;-)









Been out a few times this week, collecting data with gps & heart rate monitor.  From the looks of it, it might be a good idea to increase the data pool by sampling those runs a few times in each gear.  
applied Science
For good measure as it were.

What I won't do for Science!

4 comments:

  1. Looks to me as if you live in Paradise? Wonderful pictures, great views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mhm Coincidence. Sure... Sounds like a fun excuse to go biking or fishing to me. Technically, isn't it all studying in some way? Physics and biology?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard: NM = Paradise? Nope, that'd be MT or OR for sure. I'd put NM as a waystop on that road allright. ;-)

    BCFN: As for excuses, don't tell the missus. It's all about the Science! ;-)

    mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, your secret is safe with me.

    ReplyDelete