Tuesday, October 16, 2012

high country gold



Well it looks like I almost missed it entirely.

Gold season in the high country.











When my window finally, finally!, arrived, I was astonished to see October 13 on the calendar, yikes!




That's opening day of elk rifle season round here, that could make for an interesting time on the water.


To top it off, I was flying in on the heels of that stormfront that sailed thru Friday, gawd I hope it doesn't put the fish down, I had too much riding on this trip.

This last trip of the high country season.

So Saturday's drive up was filled with more than a little angst, wondering if I managed to blow it this final trip of the season.  You know the feeling- no aspens, no color, no thick bodied, big headed browns.  

No gold.

Saturday, round 1pm, I realized I needn't have worried so much.  

What color was lost in the hillsides seemed to have found its way into the stream, with buttery browns around every bend.


Yes there was my fair share of the catching.  But the most memorable fish was that One I never pricked.

With autumn's low water and fishing season all but a distant memory, many of the solitary browns take up station in the skinniest water- ambush stations.  Stalking up a riffle, hunting for those familiar current breaks, I see him. One of the largest of the trip, his back to me, in a shallow pool at the tail of a tongue of current.  Tucked neatly into the shadows of an overhanging rock, blissfully nosing the conveyor belt of food while his enemies remain absent.



I practice a coupla side casts to work out the distance, send that beetle, #16, into the fray.  The first cast goes unnoticed, the second has his full attention.  As the beetle floats past and tips into the current, the big brown turns to give chase. The beetle hovers on the brink, the big snarking nose breaks the surface to inhale the hapless prey.  But he's just a scosh too late- the fly darts down into the current leaving the cavernous maw to snap shut with with an audible pop, leaving only a solitary bubble where beetle once was.



That exact moment freezes in my minds eye.  A single rod's distance separates we two.  His one eye above the surface, we two adversaries stand frozen in time, locked in conflict.  Literally eye to eye.

Hunter v Prey


One look of startled recognition, slap of a barn door tail, roostertail wake.  He's gone!

Until next year my friend.      

Next year.


14 comments:

  1. Hey Mike. This is one of the posts of the year. How beautiful the colors and how magnificent the fish. What a great way to end the season...if it's ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you sir! Such a great time of the year, always gone in a flash. Hate the thought it will be a solid six months before I see that country again. Mike

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos Mike. Looks like a slice of heaven there.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Ben. Ya, I'm gonna miss that country for a good long while. Might have to seek solace amongst those big bows on the Juan. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Great pictures and a story well told. Have to take a second look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better get after them Kevin, season's fading fast. And don't forget your hunter orange! ;-) thx for checking in~ mike

      Delete
    2. Love the photos on your post about the fall, great shots of the fish, good wording.. a keeper!

      Delete
    3. Thx for the kind words FG, stop back anytime! Mike

      Delete
  4. Definitely look forward to your fall posts. The archives show a definite pattern :) Keep up the great work!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny- it's no coincidence. No matter how the summer season turns out, when fall swings around, I find there is only one place I want to be. Love it up there. Mjh

      Delete
  5. Gold indeed!
    Your post is exactly how I love to observe Fall. Gold in and out of the water.
    Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx RG, missing it already. don't be a stranger! mike

      Delete
  6. Those browns are as beautiful as the leaves....nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I think so too, thx for stoppin in Kiwi! mike

      Delete